Nan Cao is a professor at the College of Design and Innovation at TongJi University in China. He is the founder and the director of Tong Ji Intelligent Big Data Visualisation Lab (iDVx Lab) . Dr. Cao is also an adjunct professor at NYU ShangHai and NYU Tandon. Before joining TongJi and NYU ShangHai, he was a research staff member at IBM T.J. Watson Research Center and he has worked for IBM for 10 years during 2005 - 2015. Dr. Nan Cao was recruited by TongJi University base on the national "1000 young talent program" launched by the Chinese government. He received his Ph.D degree from the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology in Aug 2012.
Dr. Cao led many research projects related to data visualization in domains of information security, healthcare informatics, and urban computing. His primary expertise and research interests are information visualization and visual analysis. He is specialized in producing novel visualization techniques to represent and analysis complex (big, heterogenous, multidimensional, dynamic) real world data.
The above background photo was shooted at Croton Point Park in Oct 2015. It was a place where I shared many good memories with my family. A video of this park was captured by my DJI phantom in Feb 2015.
- Feb/2017 A paper is accepted by PasificVis 2017.
- 12/2016 A Paper is conditionally accepted by CHI 2017.
- 11/2016 Two journal papers are respectively accepted by Information Visualization and IEEE TKDE.
- 10/2016 The “ACM Rising Star Award“ in ShangHai, China
- 10/2016 Giving a keynote speech in Design Week 2016 at Tong Ji University
- 10/2016 Received the “ACM Rising Start Award“ in ShangHai, China
- 10/2016 Three papers respectively accepted by IEEE Transaction on Multimedia, IEEE Big Data, and ACM SIG Graph Asia
- 10/2016 Organizing the Special Issue on Interactive Visual Analysis of Human and Crowd Behaviors on ACM Transactions on Interactive Intelligent Systems (TiiS) [Call For Paper]
- 09/2016 Received the “ACM Rising Start Award“ in ShangHai, China
- 09/2016 One paper is accepted by CSCW 2017
- 08/2016 One NFSC proposal has been accepted
- 08/2016 Received the SUR Award from IBM
- 07/2016 One paper received the Honorable Mention Award from China Vis 2016 conference and recommended to Journal of Visualization
- 07/2016 I will give a tutorial, "Analyzing User Behaviors via Data Visualiza6on Techniques", on SBP-BRiSM 2016
- 03/2016 recieved the BEST PAPER AWARD from ACM IUI Conference
- 01/2016 A guest Lecture at ZheJiang University about data visualization, invited by Prof. Wei Chen
Awards and Honors:
- ACM Rising Start Award (ShangHai), 2016
- China Vis 2016, Honorable Mention Award, 2016
- "1000Plan Program for Young Talents" (中组部青年千人）, 2016
- ACM IUI, Best Paper Award, 2016
- IBM Outstanding Technical Achievement Award, 2015
- IEEE VAST, Honorable Mention, 2014
- HKUST PhD Research Excellence Award, 2012
- The IBM Research Accomplishment Award in Nov. 2007
- Microsoft Global MVP Award in Oct. 2005
- Microsoft Excellent Achievement Award of “Imagine Cup" software competition of China in Apr. 2005
Current Team Members:
- Siyuan Gao(高思远), Intern, Yale University(耶鲁大学), Jan 2016 - April 2016, Dec 2016 - Now
- Zhuochen Jin(金卓宸), Intern, Zhejiang University(浙江大学), Oct 2016 - Now
- Qiuhan Zhu(朱秋晗), Intern, ShangHai JiaoTong University(上海交通大学), July 2016 - Now
- Chaoguang Lin(林超光), Intern, Zhe Jiang University(浙江大学), March 2016 - Now
- Jun Yuan(袁珺), Intern, FuDan University (复旦大学), Feb 2016 - Now
- Hanfei Lin(林翰菲), Intern, ECNU(华东师范大学), Jan 2016 - Now
- Shunan Guo(郭姝男), Visiting Student, ECNU(华东师范大学), Dec 2015 - Now
- Fan Du(杜樊), Research Assistant, University of Maryland(马里兰大学), Oct 2015 - Sep 2016
- Ao Zhang(张翱), Visiting Student, ECNU(华东师范大学), Dec 2015 - June 2016, Currently at Alibaba
- Wenchao Wu(吴文超), Visiting Student, HKUST(香港科技大学), Jan 2016 - April 2016, Currently at SIEMENS China Research
- Yixian Zheng(郑毅贤), Visiting Student, HKUST(香港科技大学), Jan 2016 - April 2016
- Haipeng Zeng(曾海鹏), Visiting Student, HKUST(香港科技大学), Jan 2016 - April 2016
Guest Editor: IEEE TMM; Co-Chair: IBM VIS PIC, ACM Big Data, 2014, China Vis, Poster Chair, 2016, CIKM International Workshop on Interactive Mining for Big Data; PC Member: IEEE VAST 2016, EuroVis 2016, IEEE Pacific Vis 2015-2017; IJCAI 2015 - 2016; AAAI 2015-2016; ASONAM 2016; CBDCom 2016; SocialSec 2016; Graph Drawing 2015; Reviewers: IEEE TVCG/TIST/TIS/TKDE/ICDM